Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Mystery and Intrigue

My sister and I went to borders one day and we just happened to pick out Sarah's Key without knowing how good it was. Recently I decided to create a list of books I want to read and Sarah's Key was on there. I picked off the shelf this Saturday and read throughout the day. When I came back from the Juanes concert, I went straight to the book and finished it at exactly midnight!
This is one of my favorite books, I just wanted to sit there and read and read.
A short summary:
The story shares the life of a young 10 year old girl who is French born and Jewish during the summer of 1942 in occupied France. Because the young girl and family (Mom, Dad, and little brother) are Jewish they are persecuted by the French Police and sent to a concentration camp. The only thing is she locked her brother in their secret hiding place so be safe, thinking she would be able to go back, her journey is finding her way back to her little brother.
We also get the perspective of 40+ year old woman living in France in the 21 Century (originally American)  with her young but mature daughter Zoe and her grumpy husband Bertrand. For work she was assigned to do a piece on the anniversary of the summer of 1942 (the major Jewish roundup in Paris- the one the 10 year old girl above and family was in). Because of some very innocent digging she discovers a shocking and life altering connection to the 10 year old girl who was taken to concentration camps.
This book was amazing, and I was balling by the end of it. I recommend it to anyone because it was such a great read, and you learn a little bit of France's dark history.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a really good read. Thank you for the recommendation. Will add to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post!

    XoXo
    H&C from Amsterdam
    www.sistersandsisters.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the love!