Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Food For Thought

PASSION: an intense desire or enthusiasm for something.
My French class has to do a presentation about our passion. Something that should be natural and easy to talk about is actually really challenging. Other than going to school, taking care of my sister, and hanging out with friends I rarely have time to do anything that I really enjoy alone. So how do I find something I am passionate about? 

1. Make Time: 
this will probably be the hardest thing to because there are only 24 hours in a day and 8 of those are spent sleeping, another 7 at school, add about three hours of school work, and your left with 6 scattered hours of free time. So how do you find time? In an ideal world we would only spend 20 minutes of the computer or TV, but in reality people spend a lot of time on their computers (doing homework, outside work, catching up on some videos, playing games, reading blogs, writing blogs, shopping, etc.) One solution is to do everything in moderation (so allow yourself to read that blog, but once your done focus), but if you are like me things are a little more complicated. So I found Keep Me Out, which is a website that only allows you to visit the site of your choosing every 60 minutes (or whatever amount of time you feel necessary). I found that this is really helpful, instead of checking my Facebook page every minute,  I check it once a day and then I am done. 

2. Take That Swing Class:
sometimes we can find our passions in an activity that never crossed our minds. Over the summer a friend an I decided to take a Aerial Conditioning class at the Circus Center, probably the most intense athletic activity I've ever done. After the first class I was so sore, moving my arms, legs, and stomach seemed impossible. But after a few classes I saw that my arms could finish those last push ups. It was somewhat hard because I had to go to work next day (belayer- which means I use my arms all day), but it was extremely rewarding. Not only was I doing something good for my body, but I was able to find a new interest and conquer my fear of heights (trapeze). Doing something just for the heck of it, can turn out to be an activity that you do for the rest of your life. My next activity will hopefully be some kind of dancing. A great place to look for new and exciting activities is Groupon, a website that gives you deals on different kinds of activities (Wine Tasting, Scuba Diving, Flying Lessons, Hang Gliding Lessons, to name a few). 

So what is my passion? I have no idea... yet. In due time I will find something I am genuinely enthusiastic and passionate about, but until then I am going to try as many things as possible. As for my French assignment I might pick cooking, because I do like cooking (regardless of my many failed attempts), and I find great satisfaction out of making something good for others. Who knows, maybe in a couple of years I will be able to make a great meal (all the way to dessert) for my family and friends. 

Sources: Via, Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the love!