Friday, January 7, 2011

Friday Food For Thought



On my first day of school this semester my english teacher gave us a lecture on hard work and he said that despite all that's going on (college stuff, senior year, other classes, familial obligations, etc.) we should still give our all to school (in particular his class). He went on to say that he has planned the rest of the year according to what would push us academically but also allow us to enjoy our last semester as high school students. He wanted us to trust him and hoped that we would begin and end the new semester without complaints. I complain about my lack of sleep, my hunger, my socks showing under my jeans, my height (or lack there of), my grades, etc. But what my teacher pointed out was that by complaining we are saying that we have been wronged, something is unfair. However, we shouldn't feel that way at all. Instead we should be thankful for that moment, thankful for what we have, and what we don't have. If we look at our lives how many times a day do we spend complaining? We probably waste more time hating life than we do appreciating and loving it. I was really happy yesterday when I got to pass on that little piece of advice originally from my teacher to one of my best friends. It was rewarding to know that I might have helped someone see the beauty or the good things in their life. To sum it up a German proverb (so unlike me*): 

Instead of complaining that the rosebush is full of thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses






*inside joke with Justine and Nicole


Source: BlushMeLove

1 comment:

Thanks for the love!