Thursday, October 14, 2010

Beached Whale

On Wednesday my Marine Biology class went to Pescadero beach to see a beached Blue Whale and her fetus. So from what I do know, the mama whale apparently got hit in the head by a ship and then washed ashore. Her fetus was then aborted and found 50 feet away from her. The blue whale is the largest animal in the world, and this particular whale was 80 feet.

Mama Blue Whale        
                                   

Fetus Blue Whale (so sad)


A sign we saw- although I'm not sure why anyone would want to stand on top of the whale. (Especially since from 10 feet away you could smell the decomposing whale). 
I had never seen a whale this close, let alone a dead one and her fetus. It was bittersweet. Bitter because a creature who wasn't supposed to die did, and sweet because I got to see a whale. 

1 comment:

Thanks for the love!